1. Remove the strawberries from the freezer. Place them in a bowl and add 2 Tbs of sugar. Let them defrost. As they melt use a fork to pry them apart. You can mash them up if desired.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9x13 inch pan. Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating just to combine. finally, stir in vanilla. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
5. When the cake is cooked let it cool. 10 minutes before you are ready to serve the dessert prepare the whipped cream.
6. Place the heavy cream in a blender (A mixer is better, but I only have a blender). Add the 1/4 cup of sugar and the tsp of vanilla.
7. Blend the mixture until it thickens.
8. Slice the cake. Place the strawberries on top of each slice and then top them with the cream.